22 July 2008

Our Family

... not my blood family, but my Air Force family, sadly has lost some more members. In a community where there are only two bases, the chances that someone you know was either on the plane, or friends with someone who was, are pretty good.

Yesterday's crash in Guam hits so close to home for us. We live the life, see the B52s flying daily as we do our daily activities. It's one of the most awesome planes to see in flight. My youngest is learning to appreciate that bird in the sky now that he's old enough to know about them. When the C-130 was spraying for skeeters, Matthew asked, "Is that a B52?"

Sometimes in our lives, military or civilian, we become complacement, don't think that tomorrow might be our last. After having been out of the community for over five years, my husband climbing back in the cockpit of the BUFF didn't make me nervous. Those first ten years, I hated his flying, dreaded those days, and just was glad to hear his voice on the phone saying "I'm on the ground. I'll be home in a little while." Until yesterday morning, I had kind of taken for granted the idea, and just kissed him goodbye each flight, and would see him later in the day, or early in the morning. Not any more. I will make the most of our time together, love and live like it's the last time. This certainly isn't a wonderful assignment, but I am blessed to have my boys and my husband here. We must bloom where planted, and while it might be hard, my family (blood and AF) are here with me and part of me.

So tonight, as I head to bed, might we remember the words Ronald Reagan quoted after the Challenger, written by Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee, who was killed 11 December 1941.

HIGH FLIGHT
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Lord, be with those families tonight who await word on their loved ones. Lord bless and keep them. May they know they're not alone. Give them strength and peace, even in this moment. Lord, just wrap them in your loving arms and comfort them. Amen.

1 comment:

Sandie said...

Susan,
My heart goes out to you. When I learned of the deaths I broke out into tears. Having been in the "Buff" and now in B-One world -I too take it for granted that our aviators will come home safe to their spouses each night. We'll all hug them a bit tighter and say good bye to them a bit longer- never really knowing if it could be the last time we say good bye.