16 August 2008

Change Change Change

Just thinking out loud....

I think (and yes, I'm an arrogant but respectful world traveler) that the USA is the best country by far. I've heard what socialized medicine is to people in Great Britain and Germany. I have a version of it with military care. I can roam about whenever and wherever I want without someone saying "I vant to see your papers." We have so many natural wonders in this country that pretty much put to shame even the most fabulous castles in Europe. Grand Canyon, Arches National Park, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier... I can go on, but won't.

This is my pondering the last week or so... if America is such a great country, why does someone insist on being the person to "change" it? Yeah, all countries have their problems... ours is a two party government and people wanting something for free. We want government to not be so nosey, but we (generic, certainly not me) want something from them.

Yes, we could have health care for everyone. We can also be run into the ground like Jimmy Carter did us in the 70s. TAX TAX TAX! Oh and SPEND SPEND SPEND! While health care paid for by the government would be nice... think about it... WE PAY FOR IT. TAXES. Want to pay more? The Germans pay 19% for their VAT (Value Added Tax) on everything. So buying that $10 item in the store would add another $2. Take that out further to think big... $100 adds an extra $20. Of course, they don't actually see the price and the tax... it's ADDED to the price. The cost of goods in this country sucks right now and adding more government mandates just will add more to the cost.

Well, that's my ramble for the moment. I have some other thoughts after having escaped the confines of the state of North Dakota for a few days, if only over the border. I need to go out tomorrow with the boys and take some pictures... you should see the sunflower fields around here. OMG!!! It's a beautiful sea of yellow, and it's not one of my colors. :D There is one additional site I like about ND... the sunflowers and welcome signs to SD, MT, MN and Canada. LOL I really did want to return, if only to come home to where my stuff is. :) Home is where my family is.... for a few days it was the Mall of America.

Oh, one more thought... oh I'll save it for my post about our trip to the Twin Cities.

No comments: