14 April 2008

Go Steelers!

NO! I've not lost my mind and submitted to the brainwash attempts in my household. Nor did I join the Kool-Aid drinking community in western PA. BUT, all the hubbub over a comment made by Obama the other day made me laugh, and then reflect when the news reported the following news story tonight at 10pm.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/election/s_562310.html (text of letter)
http://www.newsmax.com/politics/obama_rooney/2008/04/14/87798.html (brief story recap of Obama and Rooney)

Why am I saying Go Steelers? Me? A diehard Browns fan? Oh I hope you've figured out some of my madness by now. :D It all makes sense, honest!

There is some truth to people being bitter, clutching their guns and clinging to religion. It's a right in the Constitution to do both! Did it become a crime since he spoke those words? I just wanted to check. Wasn't sure. Point being, I grew up with some of those folks. Un/underemployed coalminers and steel mill workers. The 80s came along and life died... incomes died... hopes died. Are they bitter? Dang straight! Many struggle to this day making ends meet. But must they be condemned for clinging to a church (something all our candidates make a big deal about) or holding a gun close?

I say GO STEELERS for this fact: if Dan Rooney wants to cheer Obama on, then by all means, get Steeler nation behind him. It has to assure that neither Dem will be on the platform in January 2009... I think enough people hate the Steelers to help fight that battle and find themselves voting AGAINST him the Steelers boss has so graciously supported. (two former players have thrown their support behind Obama as well - Bettis and Harris if I remember correctly) http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/2008/03/the-gods-have-spoken-bettis-an.php

GO LAUGH A LITLE!! This stupid campaign started the day the 2006 elections ended. How freaking insane is that?!?!!? I wish some days I were in Europe still. The news cycle on AFN didn't flow with my time very well, so unless I sat down to specifically really watch the news, I didn't watch it. I caught most news on the radio, or online or on the radio online.

So, just this once, and notably in the OFF SEASON, I am rooting for the Steelers out there in this world. Go out and vote next week. I, for one, am going to be humored no matter the PA outcome. I have to laugh at this all. If not, I'd be crying.

I return you to the madness...

No comments: