24 April 2008

Name that Century

When the nearest town was 2 hours trip to get further health care?
When the nearest town for furthermore dental follow up (ie root canal) was 2 hours trip?
When there was one pharmacy to get a script filled? (can't confirm ONE, but the first I asked for wasn't available)
Better yet, what state does/did this happen in?

Well, the TWENTY FIRST CENTURY would be the correct answer as would NORTH (by freaking) DAKOTA for the state. Pharmacy? Dentist asks "What pharmacy shall I call this to? Or would you like a slip to take to the base?" (It's 430ish and we know the hours they keep at the med group - they were gone 3 hours before) I say my fave pharmacy after the base, "Walmart." "Uh, sorry. Walmart doesn't have a pharmacy." YES! You heard me right. Wally World in Minot, Freaking North Dakota, does NOT have a pharmacy. Where do old people get their scripts filled!?!?!?

Better yet, there is no endodontist listed in Minot's yellow pages. My dentist works with one in Bismarck, just a short 2+++++ hours drive to the south. Did I mention one other dental trivia tidbit for tonight? My neighbor, having dinner at the table next to us tonight, says there are TWO PEDIATRIC DENTISTS IN THE ENTIRE STATE. Thank God! One is in MINOT! (too bad the kid in the chair next to mine this afternoon didn't know the one was ACROSS THE HALL... he made ME cry and I didn't need any more encouragement than having to sit in the dentist office, period.

Oh, yeah... I'm sure the dentist likes me even more. At some point during the talk, I told her bluntly, "I'd rather be giving birth than sitting in your office." Maybe not the best thing to say LOL Nor was it good to say how FOULED up a state this was loudly in the waiting room after the appointment. I just don't get how people get by in this state when they have to travel across it to get some of their health care.

Gas prices... they make states and communities likes those up here, really, really, really, not worth the hassle. Too darned expensive to live here and be happy doing so!

Review... it's not Little House on the Prairie needing several days to travel to "Town" to get the important things in life. It's TODAY, in NORTH DAKOTA.

Just when I want to really really really REALLY try getting by here, I get smacked upside the head again with reality. If $3.50 doesn't do it, I'm not sure what will.

No comments: